This page has moved to a new address.

Stop! Where’s the Pause Button?

Cheryl's Musings: Stop! Where’s the Pause Button?

Cheryl's Musings

How to Thrive on the Writer's Road

Monday

Stop! Where’s the Pause Button?

Don’t you wish life came with one? A pause button, that is. I could’ve used one last week. I can tell, because it’s always a bad sign when Saturday rolls around and I can only remember a sort of blur since Monday . This image hit me, late last night: my life is like a stovetop with too many pots on the front burner.

I think it’s the entropy problem: without conscious attention and effort, our lives tend to become more and more disordered (and busy!) over time. When the days start to blur together, that’s probably a good indicator that it’s time to take a step back and regroup. I know, it can be hard to do when you’re surrounded by deadlines and projects, but most of us can eke out an hour to pare down our to-do lists.

Or maybe you just need an hour to recharge and breathe.

Last night, I took an hour to recharge and breathe—and crochet, which incorporates both. I finished up a project that involves jewel tones, silky cotton yarn, and just enough complexity to keep my mind absorbed.

  Picture 003

Did you know that crocheting can reduce stress and trigger a “relaxation response” similar to that obtained via yoga and meditation? Research from the Harvard Medical School Mind/Body Institute suggests that those of us who crochet may be happier and healthier than those who do not.

Cheryl

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home