This page has moved to a new address.

Great Verbs

Cheryl's Musings: Great Verbs

Cheryl's Musings

How to Thrive on the Writer's Road

Tuesday

Great Verbs

Rewriting my own work makes me acutely aware of strong verbs in others' writing. I especially love when authors coax words into unexpected meanings. Here are a few of my favorite verbs for the week:
  • bracelet: "A thin red line bracelets her wrist."

  • crosshatch: "Docks and moorings crosshatch the water nearest shore."

  • jewel: "Stars jewel the sky."

  • bleed: "Sunset bled across the lake."

  • spiderwebbed: "Silver spiderwebbed the orb's surface."

I like Lewis Carroll's thoughts about language, as expressed in Through the Looking Glass: 'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'

Today, I will practice coaxing my own words into order :)

~Cheryl


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home