This page has moved to a new address.

Today's News: A Voice!

Cheryl's Musings: Today's News: A Voice!

Cheryl's Musings

How to Thrive on the Writer's Road

Sunday

Today's News: A Voice!

My recent travel to Peru inspired a new book idea--but a book that's completely different from what I usually write: YA rather than midgrade, with a touch of romance, and without even a hint of fantasy. I had a great character, great story concept, great setting--but I couldn't get the voice. And I couldn't sleep, because this story wants to be written.

So at 3:00 am or so Saturday morning, I pulled out one of my journals from high school and started to read. Wow. What a roller coaster! I remember a lot about being a kid, but reading the day to day account pulled me back into the memories and emotions. And yesterday I spent three intense hours in a coffee shop writing the first few chapters. I've got the voice. Weird and wonderful.

Have any journals from your childhood? If not, beg, borrow, or blackmail your friends into letting you read theirs. (Never read someone else's without permission, though. That earns you an eternity without books or paper....) And rediscover your voice.
~Cheryl
Me at 16: "I may be 'sweet sixteen,' and I've had my first kiss (even if it was the grossest and most disgusting thing imaginable,) but all of my experience with 'love' has been more disappointment than anything else."

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At February 17, 2008 at 9:49 PM , Blogger The Once said...

Eh...What is the plot for this story? Hmm...I think my friends would disagree with your kissing comment, how does that work out? Ah well... And you stay up till 3? Continuing on the subject of this story...When would this interview happen? What else was I going to rant about? Errr...Oh, righto, about an eternity of books and paper...How does that happen if you read someone's journal? Oh, and no fantasy? Innntereeesting...Ahh well, Toodle-oodles! Sammy (Oh! and see you tommorow)

 
At February 18, 2008 at 9:41 AM , Blogger Cheryl Reif said...

Hi ZCOGGASG (aka Samster). Wow, lots of questions! Re. first kiss--a highly informal, unscientific survey suggests that more than half of first kiss experiences are awkward, embarrassing, and/or generally unpleasant. Mine involved an icky guy (problem #1) who told me I was doing it wrong (problem #2.) If I'd been a little more sure of myself, I would have dumped him then rather than four months later. Re. story plot--still top secret :). Sort of. Re. interview--dunno, let's discuss. Re. eternity w/o books or paper--well, maybe the specifics of ultimate doom vary from person to person, but I have VERY strong feelings about reading other people's journals without permission. Very bad karma. CUl8r :) Cheryl

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home