This page has moved to a new address.

Why do writers blog?

Cheryl's Musings: Why do writers blog?

Cheryl's Musings

How to Thrive on the Writer's Road

Friday

Why do writers blog?


My NF children's writers list has had an interesting discussion on the pros and cons of blogging lately. For a great article on the topic, check out Laura Purdie Salas' blog at:




Her article made me wonder: why do I blog? I began for practical reasons--web presence, marketing, connecting with readers etc.--but those aren't good enough reasons for me to spend the time on blogging right now. Web presence is good, but I don't have any books out to promote yet, and few magazine readers seek out the magazine's authors. When I get reader feedback on a story or article, it usually takes the form of, "Oh, you wrote that? I (or my son or my daughter) loved that article (or short story or craft)!" So I'm not connecting with *many* readers at this point.


And yet I keep coming back. My friend Julie says that all writing brings a reward, and I guess that blogging is no exception. So why do I blog?


  1. To sort out my thoughts on writing craft, writing struggles, and writing rewards.

  2. To connect with other writers out there.

  3. To (I hope!) provide a resource for others who are walking the writing road.

So thank you who read this, for sharing a bit of my life.


:) Cheryl

4 Comments:

At December 14, 2007 at 11:03 AM , Blogger laurasalas said...

Hi Cheryl--Thanks for the nice words about my article. I've been spending more time lately blogging--between Robert's Snow, Cybils, etc. I do get a lot out of it...but it's a balancing act of how much time to spend on writing that has subtle, but not always overt, rewards!

 
At December 14, 2007 at 11:24 AM , Blogger Cheryl Reif said...

Hi Laura! What a nice surprise! No problem with the nice words--your article is information-dense and thought-provoking. Thank you for sharing it! ~Cheryl

 
At December 19, 2007 at 12:37 PM , Blogger Heather Zundel said...

I do love your blog and I think it does all that you say you want it to accomplish. I know my blog keeps me in touch with my own writing. Good luck with your story submission!

 
At December 20, 2007 at 9:14 AM , Blogger Cheryl Reif said...

Thank you! I love the way the internet lets writers connect--with one another, with readers, with publishers. I enjoy yours, too :).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home