This page has moved to a new address.

Great Resource for Writing Craft

Cheryl's Musings: Great Resource for Writing Craft

Cheryl's Musings

How to Thrive on the Writer's Road

Monday

Great Resource for Writing Craft

In the midst of my rewriting rampage, Arthur A. Levine editor Cheryl Klein was kind enough to post a copy of her keynote address from the Terminus 2008 Harry Potter conference. Read the full text here: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqjo1w/id38.html

In it, Klein discusses topics as diverse as characters, setting, theme, and plot. It's a checklist for the revising writer, taking a quick look at everything essential to a great book.

I took her speech and applied her questions to my own work. What am I trying to say in my work? What are my protagonist's virtues--and how do they relate to her flaws? How do my characters virtues and flaws drive her through the story? The insights gained are driving me through the story, too--in a very helpful way. Thanks, Cheryl Klein, for sharing your thoughts on the craft of writing for children!

:) Cheryl

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At September 9, 2008 at 12:36 PM , Blogger Heather Zundel said...

And thank you for posting that link. That is such a wonderful find. I can't wait to put into use for my own story. (And I am sorry I have been away so long. I'm glad to see you are still writing!)

 
At September 10, 2008 at 1:23 PM , Blogger Cheryl Reif said...

Hi Heather--I'm so glad you found it useful! It definitely helped me. I have a newly-written book map for my WIP. It didn't prompt any plot changes (yet) but helped me to see what is essential in each scene. Happy writing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home