This page has moved to a new address.

Fear and Success and Keeping On…

Cheryl's Musings: Fear and Success and Keeping On…

Cheryl's Musings

How to Thrive on the Writer's Road

Wednesday

Fear and Success and Keeping On…

I promised myself that there would be NO MORE BLOGGING—or Tweeting or random researching, or any of the other ways I distract myself and procrastinate—until I began the much-dreaded rewrite of my latest YA, VOICE.

  I usually love to rewrite, but this round has been unexpectedly difficult to begin. Why, you ask? For an unanticipated reason: an editor or two actually LIKE the manuscript.

Intellectually, I know this is a Very Good Thing. The problem is that now it’s up to me to sift through advice and suggestions, dive back into the story, and turn around a rewrite that WOWs…and that’s a little scary. I’m close, but I’ve been this close before. I’m afraid I’ll screw it up.

iStock_000006789833XSmallI think my inner 6-year-old is holding onto the logic that, if I don’t ever turn in the rewrite, I can’t possibly fail. It’s the same logic that keeps writers from submitting manuscripts, because that which is not submitted can never be rejected, right? Surely I’m not the only writer to struggle with gut-level illogic?

I know, I know: the solution to this problem is to trick my subconscious into moving on, which is what I’ve been working on this week. I’ve made enough progress that I’m allowed to blog again and maybe even write a Tweet or two.

If I’m a good girl and keep on writing that story!!

:) Cheryl

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At June 23, 2010 at 5:48 PM , Blogger mirrorsandmagicfrogs said...

I think your inner six-year-old is twins with mine. But YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!

 
At June 23, 2010 at 6:08 PM , Blogger Cheryl Reif said...

Aw, thank you!!! (Wouldn't you think we'd outgrow these things???)

 
At June 23, 2010 at 6:15 PM , Blogger mirrorsandmagicfrogs said...

My guess is they're grafted to our personalities like that metal grafted to Wolverine's skeletal system. And this is where this metaphor falls apart because if rewriting/submitting is Magneto, then we can really avoid it and succeed.

 
At June 23, 2010 at 6:16 PM , Blogger mirrorsandmagicfrogs said...

And I meant CAN'T avoid it. Blast.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home