This page has moved to a new address.

When Life Throws You for a Loop

Cheryl's Musings: When Life Throws You for a Loop

Cheryl's Musings

How to Thrive on the Writer's Road

Sunday

When Life Throws You for a Loop

2410222127_2464902f07I’ve been rather conspicuously absent from my online haunts these past two weeks, after a family member made an unexpected trip to the hospital. I and my family have been doing what everyone does when crisis hits: scaling back to the bare minimum—which, unfortunately, didn’t include blogging, because every available minute at a computer was spent trying not to get too far behind in my paying work. All this meant I spent a lot of time writing in the coffee shop nearest the hospital, which is an hour drive from our house.

So it was particularly funny to find this blog when I did slow down enough this weekend to catch up on my blog reading:

The Number One Problem Facing a Digital Nomad (No Pun Intended)

I don’t have an office anymore…Now, I work anywhere. I named this lifestyle “digital nomading”. I don’t really know if “nomading” is a word, because my spellchecker is complaining big time, with a red and kinda flashy line underneath it. But I’m gonna use it anyway.

The Problem

But, as much as I would like to stick to the images only, sooner or later I have to accept the fact that I’m more than just images. Namely, a flesh and blood human being, with very basic needs. After a few hours, my digestive system is done with the tea and water, and there is this overflow inside me, if you know what I mean. In much simpler words, I have to take a leak.

If you’d like to read more observations on “digital nomading” and how it forced one writer to engage with the world around him, head over to Stepcase Lifehack. Made me laugh.

As for me? Yep, I faced the same problem and found the same solution, with the result that I was drawn into conversation with three exceptionally nice women who announced that they would beat up anyone who tried to steal my computer. (There were no takers—I think they intimidated any criminal elements in the place.)

It’s kinda nice to remember that there are a darned lot of great people in the world, ready to lend a hand when needed. All we have to do is ask.

Things are settling back down here. The injured party is recovering, and the rest of us are recovering, too. The written word beckons me again, which is always a good sign.

:) Cheryl

Photo credit

4 Comments:

At June 6, 2011 at 7:24 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I feel you, Cheryl... I am back in web-land today too. Kinda feels good... :)

 
At June 7, 2011 at 2:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I definitely hear you Cheryl. Sometime life knocks you and you have to adapt. I hope things improve for you.

 
At June 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM , Blogger Andrea Mack said...

Cheryl, glad to hear things are getting back on track!

 
At June 17, 2011 at 9:57 AM , Blogger Cheryl Reif said...

Hey guys, thanks for the good wishes!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home