This page has moved to a new address.

A Writer’s Thanksgiving…

Cheryl's Musings: A Writer’s Thanksgiving…

Cheryl's Musings

How to Thrive on the Writer's Road

Saturday

A Writer’s Thanksgiving…

Through the ruff timesI used to write weekly posts on things I’m thankful for as a writer, and I think I need to get back into the habit. It was fun—and helped me keep perspective because even on weeks when the writing (ahem) sucked, I could always come up with things I love about being a writer.

So, being as it’s Thanksgiving and all, here are (a few of) my week’s things to love about being a writer:

  1. Getting to work sprawled on the sofa, with dogs curled up on my feet. Ahh…what could be cozier?
  2. Dinner-table debates about the merits of the serial comma. (No, I’m not kidding. Yes, this is geeky. It makes me oddly proud that my kids, ages 11 and 15, care about this as much as I do.)
  3. Luscious words. Ever spent a few minutes luxuriating in the sounds of your favorite words? Scintillate…susurration…escutcheon…finial…Lilliputian…
  4. Brainstorming story ideas with friends or family.
  5. Reading lots and lots of books. And calling it work :).
  6. I love the way ideas that were determined to hover just at the edges of my vision scamper after me when I head out for a walk.
  7. And I love reading pages aloud after 500 rewrites and have them, finally, miraculously, sound good.

:-) Cheryl

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At November 29, 2010 at 2:57 PM , Blogger Patrick said...

Great post, Cheryl. Not sure where you come down on the hot topic of the serial comma, but I am greatly in favor of its use, and much prefer it to other serials (say, killers).

My 12 year old son and 15 year old daughter couldn't care less about such things, but my daughter and I do have a favorite word in common: defenestration

Patrick Ross
http://artistsroad.wordpress.com

 
At December 1, 2010 at 4:18 PM , Blogger Cheryl Reif said...

Thanks, Patrick! And you'll laugh at this: the word defenestration came up in dinner table conversation last night. My son had just taken some Latin etymology exam, and we were discussing words it might have contained.

(And I'm pro :).)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home