This page has moved to a new address.

More Thoughts on Voice

Cheryl's Musings: More Thoughts on Voice

Cheryl's Musings

How to Thrive on the Writer's Road

Monday

More Thoughts on Voice

Thanks for such a great discussion last week on voice, what it means, and how to find it! Blogging friend Charissa Weaks was inspired to write more on the topic on her blog in the post “The Difference Between Voice, Style and Tone.”

Here’s a taste:

THIS IS A BROAD TOPIC WITH EVEN BROADER OPINIONS AND I'M ADDING ANOTHER TO THE HEAP.

Why is this such a vague area?  Well...because there is no specific definition for it, so everyone defines it in their own way - which is exactly what I'm about to do!

After Googling around I came across several articles about voice and style and tone.  Some people see the trio as separate entities and others see style and tone as a part of voice.

Maybe they are the same thing...I don't know...but in my eyes they are not.

Visit her blog and join in the discussion!

:) Cheryl

*Photo courtesy of UggBoy*UggGirl on Flickr Creative Commons

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At April 11, 2011 at 5:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I've came over from Cheryl's blog. It's nice of you to link to her.

 
At April 12, 2011 at 12:39 PM , Blogger Cheryl Reif said...

Hi Elle, thanks for stopping by :)

 
At April 13, 2011 at 12:19 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Chicken or Egg? I think once you've established the voice of your characters it's merely a matter of following them and recording how they react to the situations.

 
At April 13, 2011 at 12:23 PM , Blogger Cheryl Reif said...

I like to think of it as recursive writing. I tend to resist writing until I've discovered my character's voice, but I can't get the voice down until I write...and as I get closer to the voice I'm trying to create, I have to go back and rewrite the scenes I wrote in order to FIND that voice. It's an infinite loop :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home