This page has moved to a new address.

Great Characterization Post

Cheryl's Musings: Great Characterization Post

Cheryl's Musings

How to Thrive on the Writer's Road

Friday

Great Characterization Post

I just read an awesome post Questions to Reveal Character over at R.L. LaFevers writing blog. I’m in the midst of creating characters for a new writing project and her recap of questions-that-help-you-get-to-the-heart-of-your-character provided me with a great tool for figuring out how my various characters interact.

Here’s a taste:

Which is where these questions I mentioned the other day came in so handy. They are from a workshop Michael Hague gave at the RWA National Conference a couple of years ago. He suggests that the internal journey of a character is a transformation from persona (the construct that they show the world) to their essence (their true nature).

I’ve summarized the list on an index card (purple) for future inspiration. Thanks, Robin!

:-) Cheryl

Labels:

2 Comments:

At May 22, 2009 at 6:21 PM , Blogger Casey Something said...

My favorite blogs have always been those with something unique to offer, whether it be a feature or just the writer's unique voice or humor.

That's why I started Agent Spotlight.

Looking forward to seeing what you'll be adding to the community.

 
At May 23, 2009 at 12:27 PM , Blogger Cheryl Reif said...

Hi Casey,

Your blog stood out in my mind as I wrote that. When I go to your blog, I know what I'm going to get: information about agents and encouragement to meet my writing goals. I'm excited to make a fresh start!

Cheryl

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home